Thursday, March 15, 2012

Presents vs. Presence


"What is the greatest gift you can give your children?  
Answer: To be Present and Active in their lives moving forward. Your Active Presence should always take precedence over your Material Presents.
Alism

Oftentimes we find ourselves so busy doing the work of The King that we tend to forget about or overlook The King Himself.  That posture even permeates other areas in our lives.  For example, when you look at your life, do you find yourself so busy taking care of your family that you have overlooked spending time with them?  

I now realize when looking back on my life how not having my Dad spending active quality time with me has affected my interaction with my own children.  Fortunately, back then I had siblings that I was able to fall back on to get the needed attention I was craving – being the middle child didn’t help either. However, nothing can replace the feeling a child gets when his Dad or Mom takes the time to spend with them with no ulterior motive.  Yes, I grew up in a financially challenged household (to put it mildly) and yes, my Mom and Dad did the best they could with the revelation they had.  However, that did not negate the need for their active presence in my life.

Quality time to a child is like water to a flower. Now having a family of my own, it was and continues to be a determined effort on my part to spend active quality time with my children.  Thanks to my wife Juli, I have – and as a work in process – turned around my perception of “active quality” time with my children.  Today, we understand that Family comes First.  Our children know and understand that when no one else is there to support them they can look around and find Dad and/or Mom cheering them on.  Yes, they get the presents, but after those are gone it’s our active presence that they will one day talk about with their children.

Just as God would rather you spend time “with Him” than just relegate the majority of the relationship doing things for Him or getting things from him – your wife, husband, children, and family are yearning for similar attention. Why not schedule time with those important in your life.  We may be able to buy material things to pacify our absence; however, quality time is priceless.  Make a difference by choosing to be different.  Your active presence is far greater than your presents. 
Aim High…
© 2012 Aldean Pearson
_____________________________________________________________________________

Aldean “Al” Pearson is a Professional Speaker, Trainer, and Perspective Coach.  He is the Co-Founder of the LĪVE! movement, a speaking, training and coaching organization committed to developing extraordinary people, families, and businesses. His “up-front and candid,” yet at times humorous approach empowers his clients and audiences to look past their limitations to find the hidden gems of capability within. He is married with twin boy and girl. 
Contact: AlPearson1@gmail.com
Become Inspired! 
Join our Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/AldeanPearson
Follow us on Twitter: www.Twitter.com/AldeanPearson
Connect on LinkedIn: www.Linkedin.com/in/aldeanpearson


No comments:

Post a Comment